Sunday, May 31, 2009

Antique Delight!

To start off I will just tell you this: the women in my family go bezerk over antiques. My Mother, my Grandmother, my Aunty..and now me. Over the past few years I've embraced a more feminine style of dress, so I now wear the floral dresses my Mum always wished for me to try on. I enjoy taking pieces of a fashion from another era or another country and adding it to my style. Along with this change in me (which co-occured with a change in my life direction- doing a Speech Pathology degree) I have also come to appreciate and adore antiques. I'm not referring to antiques like old scrubbing brushes..but antique jewellery, plates, cups & saucers, cutlery etc. I like that objects so old can last in beautiful condition and that they have a story even, even if you know nothing about the antique except that it is so-and-so years old.

Photobucket


A few days ago when I went to my Grandma's house she called me into her room where she said she had something to give to me. She started off with the modesties of "I'm not sure whether you'd like it or not.." and she pulled out a red suede blazer from her wardrobe: I knew the blazer wasn't for me because my Grandma is a 5' size 6. But attached to the blazer was a wonderful locket/brooch that she detached and put into my hand. I have never received an antique from my family before so this was truly something that amazed me. All I know is that it's most likely 100-150years old, during the Victorian rule. I already have worn it twice in the past three days although I am scared to lose it, but I love wearing it with the knowledge it has a history, it has been passed through two continents already to my knowledge, perhaps even more!

Photobucket

No comments: