Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Use your flippers to get down!

So I've been off the radar for a little while, but that doesn't mean that I've been slack in the music department. I have successfully spent my whole day procrastinating from uni work and instead have been listening to music that I haven't heard before, as well as relistening to bands that I have discovered within the last two weeks. So today I have been blasting my music recommendations at people and they have been squealing (in excitement):

"Where do you find all of this great music!?"

Well if I told them that would give away my secret, wouldn't it now?

BUT my candidates for bands that have struck a chord (baha lame) with me lately are these jovial whipper snappers:

Philadelphia Grand Jury
These guys play entertaining and fun live shows without the glam-scenester look. Good to see there are boys who spend more time on their band practice than time polishing their leather shoes and leather jackets. The pre-recorded commentary in between tracks is very amusing and adds to the sense that the guy don't take themselves too seriously. They also put in the effort to come up to us and have a chat..brownie points!

Art vs Science
So everyone has heard their killer story about them being the hottest kids at Splendour, and yes, I have seen Splendour footage and they nearly blew off the roof. I witnessed their musicianship at OAF and they were very impressive with their dance-able tracks and instrumentals. 'Flippers' is just so catchy, how can you not bust a move to it?

The Middle East
I heard of these kids ages ago...I even wrote them down in my myspace list of music which usually records bands that i think are the bees knees. But i unfortunately forgot about them until a friend of mine mentioned them and I remembered they were on that music list. So i revisited them and have instantly fallen in love with the track "Blood". It's a dreamy song with soft vocals which transcend into an exuberant pinnacle of emotion. Just beautiful.

You Can Be A Wesley
I was at a friend's party, one of the kind where you just linger out the front of the house and sit in the gutter and chat to randoms. One such random was from America and taught us how to play beer pong. Then he filled me in with the details that he was in this band and I should give them a listen. So I did and I like their tunes, especially "Rearrange The Sea" and "Balloon Head". Cute pop that reminds me of beautiful relaxing Sundays.

Seán Brains
Seán Ainsworth is the 'brains' behind 'Seán Brains' and is a young Melburnian. He's a one man band with my favourite track being "She Wear The Breakup", a holiday-sounding number that catapults me onto a faraway island until you realise he's singing about a girl, one who obviously has pulled at his heart strings as he says "she has spiders in her hair/they're always spinning webs.../Oh I was so blind not to see what was going on". The beginning guitar lines of his track "Summer Takes Place" is slightly reminiscent (to me) of some of The Go-Betweens tracks, but WOO his tunes all differ with their individual personalities. As someone who compulsively changes a track before it is finished, I've found it hard not to listen to his tracks the whole way through. Hands down this kid has got something good going on.

No comments: